Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Goodbye lunch @ everyday cook

*sniff* Sadly, it would seem that my favorite place to have lunch in Ann Arbor might be closing at the end of the month :( Since they started serving lunch in April last year, everyday cook in Kerrytown has consistently served some of the most interesting and innovative food I've had anywhere- from Moroccan-spiced scallops on panzanella to duck confit risotto- and what's most important is their commitment to the freshest ingredients and supporting local farmers. A daily evolving menu means that there's something new everyday and I've never been disappointed by lunch there.

According to their blog, they're not able to sustain lunch @ everyday cook because of the lack of funds, and while there is as yet no concrete future plans- a membership system seems to be in the works- it appears that when Jude and I come back from Singapore in August, there might no longer be a place where we can go for that special lunch date, or just something unique and out of the ordinary in little Ann Arbor. In a bid to bask in the lovely glow of everyday cook while we still could, my friend Deborah and I had lunch there yesterday and it was as bittersweet a food experience as I've ever had- we shared the Shrimp & Pork Cakes with Savory Mango Herb Salad and the Pan Roasted Duck with Rice Noodle & Fresh Herb-Citrus Salad, and they were both exquisitely wonderful. By the time we were making our way through dessert- a most delightful Coconut Pecan Pie with Lime Whipped Cream, we were taking increasingly smaller bites, hoping to prolong the experience for as long as we could. That's how sad we were...

I genuinely like the concept, people and food at everyday cook, and really hope that the owners figure a way to keep it going. It would be a pity to let something so special just slip away. For those of you in town who either haven't yet had a taste of everyday cook or love it as much as I do, hurry down to Kerrytown next week- you might only have a week left :( *sniff*

5 comments:

darkorpheus said...

Places like these really exisit? Don't think I have ever been to a place with a different menu everyday.

You know the "Novel-In-Progress" I have been trying to write? One of the character will eventually set up a little diner like everyday cook.

serene said...

Ooh... then I'll tell you all about it when we meet up- pretend I'm helping you with your research :) It really was a lovely place with very thoughtfully put togehter food. And they made sure that one dish everyday was vegetarian :)

darkorpheus said...

I think I heart them already. :)

oh, and reading your post above - I'm still a little surprised to hear your youngest sis is now 15.

Back in NUS she was still the baby of the family.

serene said...

Well, it *has* been a decade since Honours years. And at 15, she's STILL the baby of the family... :)

darkorpheus said...

I feel old....:(