Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I think I'm a Death Cab for Cutie snob...

I'm sorry, but just because you know the lyrics to "I Will Follow You Into the Dark"- and only that song- and remember the *two* Death Cab songs from the O.C. soundtrack does not make you a Death Cab For Cutie fan.

Yes you. And you, and you too. Those of you sitting in the dozen or so rows in front of us today who didn't seem to know half the songs in the set. You know who you are- you of the O.C. generation who looked puzzledly at your friend when "Styrofoam Plates" came on; who barely recognized the riotous opening strains of "The New Year"; and in the name of all that is good and pure, I can't believe you didn't sing along to that awesome finale track... You actually looked bored.

Jude and I (together with an ecstatic Sam, Terri and Sam's friend Hannah) on the other hand, had a blast. We thoroughly enjoyed the concert more than the one they did in Ann Arbor in 2005, mainly because they played more tracks from their older albums, or as Jude and I like to think, their *better* albums. I suspect that most of the crowd only got to know the band more after Plans, which is why today's pre-2005 set-list might not have appealed to them as much. I loved it though- "Photobooth", "Sound of Settling", "Title and Registration"- all the stuff they did before they started wearing their bleeding indie hearts so much more readily on their sleeves- each and everyone of them made me so very, very happy :)

And then of course, essentially the one track we paid $70 to hear, Death Cab for Cutie's legacy, the one inspired poetry of a song in all its blissful glory, kept till the very end, every bit as divine as we remembered it to be 'live'. And Jude and I sang every word.

Great job, Death Cab. I'm sorry I ever said you weren't good 'live'. I changed my mind- I'm very glad I saw you tonight :)

2 comments:

T said...

you really had to say something about that didnt you! i am linking your post on my blog!

darkorpheus said...

Girlfriend, going to the concert with you must be an intense experience. One is obliged to study and memorise the lyrics before attendance?!!

But okay, I get impatient too when I'm at a concert and there are those non-fans who are just taking up space looking bored.