Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Soft foods only please...

A huge thanks to everyone who sent me messages today about Jude's oral surgery :) He's doing fine now-- a little groggy and sore-- and just needs to take it easy for a couple of days. I was really anxious the whole day though- he's been having this epic saga of a tooth situation with the dental school here for almost two years and today, they were finally going to fix the mess they had created in the first place. It was going to be a really long and involved procedure (4 hours to be exact) involving his jaw, sinuses(!), cutting, hammering (!!), and suturing of some sort. And he was under strict instructions to make sure there was someone to pick him up after because he was going to be so drugged up. When I saw him getting wheeled out of the periodontics clinic in a wheelchair, I thought my heart would break... :( He might have been able to walk on his own but he really looked groggy and the doctor had to take him in the wheelchair all the way to the car.

So now he's on a strict very soft foods-only diet for at least the next week or so. I scoured my recipes for things to make this week and also got some great advice from friends, so for dinner tonight, it was roasted sweet potato soup with ginger and cumin and a strawberry-banana milkshake for dessert (the man's in pain, I'll make him a milkshake with every meal if he wanted). We also have ingredients for pork congee, rice pudding, mac & cheese, butternut squash risotto (thanks for the idea, Emilee!), mashed potatoes, and mushroom soup. Just because he can't chew doesn't mean he can't have a proper meal. I refuse to let him have Jell-O chocolate pudding cups and ice-cream all week...

No comments: