Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, October 31, 2005

Social Studies

Thanks to my darling little sister, Jude & I are now almost halfway towards getting the complete set of quarters from all the American states. We were trying to occupy her with something to do while we frantically caught up with work after the weekend in Toronto; so the poor girl was duped by her dear brother-in-law into going through our massive coin collection and ended up getting a crash course in American social studies. She industriously went through all our coins and actually found quarters from 22 states. And the best thing is, it did seem like she was having fun doing it! It's incredible what apparently trvial activities can engender so much joy in kids (oops, I meant pre-adoloscents. She's twelve remember?...) So anyways, here's the list:

1) Rhode Island
2) New York
3) Ohio
4) Georgia
5) Delaware
6) Massachusetts
7) California
8) Pennsylvania
9) Louisiana
10) Vermont
11) Indiana
12) New Hampshire
13) Kentucky
14) Wisconsin
15) Florida
16) Maryland
17) Virginia
18) Missouri
19) Illinois
20) S. Carolina
21) Minnesota
22) New Jersey

Great job Sam!

3 comments:

Dan Cooney said...

I used to - and am confident I still would - get hours of fun out of sorting or counting things like that. Coins, stamps...

I remember sorting by country and or topic, this huge box of cancelled stamps that my grandpa had given me. I still have some of them in wax paper envelopes... I think I'll post some to Flickr in a few days.

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea, Serene. I'll keep that in my arsenal of "non-adult diversions".

To add, I think I've seen Texas, but no Michigan.

serene said...

You could get Joey started- or is he still confusing his cities, counties and states?