Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Big Knob

We're off to the UP (Upper Peninsula) tomorrow, the Big Knob to be specific. We're meeting Rick and Emilee to do some camping we've been putting off for too long. It's going to be a 5-hour drive up north and maybe some hiking before we get to the beach/ campsite. I'm kinda excited, but nervous at the same time. This is only the second time I've been camping (the first time was with Olivier and the Lazzaros to Kentucky to rock-climb) and the whole there-might-not-be-a-proper-bathroom thing still bothers me a little... Bugs I can deal with; walking along trails, no problem; beaches and forests, I love; and even eating camping food is fine with me; but no shower everyday- errrm, not so much... What I am looking forward to though is the scenery of Northern Michigan and Lake Michigan that so many people rave about. And to see a beach again- oh, you have no idea how happy I'm going to be! :)

As for camping food- I think we've packed more than enough. Jammed-packed in our cooler are bread, bananas, dried fruit, soup, instant cup noodles, instant coffee (this girl ain't going nowhere without caffeine...), Chinese pork floss (novel, I know but so inspired no?? It was Jude's idea...), peanut butter, granola bars, crackers, 5 gallons of water, aloe vera drink and a couple of cans of peanut dessert. And I haven't even told you what Rick and Emilee are bringing- so far they've mentioned steak, mac 'n cheese, bacon and eggs and maple/ walnut cereal. Man... talk about a classy camping trip!

We should be all set in terms of equipment- we've got our tent, sleeping bags, cooking utensils, lantern, bug spray, ground sheet in case it rains, head lamps, foldable chairs, Swiss Army knife, and something no camping trip can be without- loads of plastic and ziplog bags. I'm taking my husband's word for it- he's the one who survived a massive rainstorm during military training in Australia with all his clothes dry and intact while the rest of his platoon-mates found themselves with soggy socks and underwear. All because he packed everything in ziplog bags. I always knew I married a smart man :)

So till Sunday when we get back!

1 comment:

Edward Vielmetti said...

There is a great beach south of Gould City off of US-2 - if you look on the state map there's a road that looks like it goes to nowhere. At the end there's a beach, Scott's Point. Lovely spot.

In Naubinway go to Beaudoin's Cafe.