Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, December 11, 2006

Wedding tracks

Ok, I think I'm done with the CD for my best friend's wedding. It's a mix-bag of songs- some stuff we listened to together when we were in school, a bunch of schmaltzy favorites, and a few others that hopefully distinguishes this wedding soundtrack from thousands upon thousands created every year. It needs to be a smashing collection for one helluva couple!

While the Web was kinda helpful in picking out some tracks, I had more fun reading about what NOT to have on a wedding CD. Some top no-nos:
1) YMCA
2) Chicken Dance
3) From This Moment & You're Still The One (Shania Twain)
4) Amazed (Lonestar)
5) There You'll Be (Faith Hill)
6) Wind Beneath My Wings (Bette Midler)
and ANYTHING Celine Dion...

That last one made me laugh- can you imagine how many brides probably walked down the aisle to "My Heart Will Go On" in 1997/ 1998??

Anyways, this is what I put together- with the bride's stamp of approval of course :) She has a jazz band playing during lunch, so this is more the "when-the-band's-taking-a-break-but-we-can't-have-silence-when-people-are-eating" music...

1) God Only Knows (Beach Boys)
I started compiling this over Thanksgiving weekend so there's a whole bunch of Love Actually-inspired tracks.
2) If She Wants Me (Belle & Sebastian)
3) Sparks (Coldplay)
4) Just Like Heaven (The Cure)
5) My One and Only Love (Sting)
Schmaltzy but oh so sweet...
6) Kissing You (Des'ree)
7) Flowers In The Windows (Travis)
8) Better Together (Jack Johnson)
9) Wedding Bell Blues (Laura Nyro)
Jude and I had this on our wedding CD too- nothing not to love about the joyous voice of Laura Nyro.
10) Pure (The Lightning Seeds)
11) All You Need Is Love (Lynden David Hall)
12) Fade Into You (Mazzy Star)
13) Ain't No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell)
This is on here coz it's from a movie we both love- go guess...
14) Northern Sky (Nick Drake)
15) Such Grest Heights (The Postal Service)
16) The Sweetest Thing (U2)
17) Nightswimming (R.E.M.)
I know, not conventional, but I've loved this song for a long time.
18) What the World Needs Now (Burt Bacharach with Elvis Costello)
19) Somewhere Over The Rainbow & What a Wonderful World (Israel Kamakawiwo'ole)
A gorgeous version...
20) The Final Frontier (Anita Baker)
From one of our favorite TV shows.
21) If I Should Fall Behind (Bruce Springsteen)
22) Truly Madly Deeply (Savage Garden)
23) The Luckiest (Ben Folds)
24) By Your Side (Sade)
Her voice is so sexy it should be illegal...
25) Ice Cream (Sarah McLachlan)
One of the sweetest of her songs, and one of her least angsty too.
26) Lovefool (The Cardigans)
27) Shape of My Heart (Sting)
28) It Had To Be You (Harry Connick, Jr. & Frank Sinatra)
29) Melt With You (Modern English)
30) Dreams (The Cranberries)

Ok, now to figure out what to say in my speech...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i <3 your songlist! esp because some of my fav songs are in there too! thumbs up to:
postal svc (I LOVE THEEM!)
shape of my heart
god only knows
sparks
all you need is love (you got the right cover- this is the best cover EVA!)
and flowers in the window :)

your best friend is luckylucky.