Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas presents 2010

With the exception of last year-- when taking care of a 4-month old and getting ready for a 22-hour flight home were our main priorities-- we've given out handmade Christmas gifts to our friends here in Ann Arbor every year since 2005 (2005- cranberry hootycreeks; 2006- peppermint hot chocolate; 2007- chocolate truffles; and 2008- kaya).

So it was time to revive the tradition this year with homemade chocolate bark. I adapted the recipe from here- instead of saltine crackers, I used graham crackers, and I also made a white chocolate-cranberry version on top of the bittersweet chocolate-nut recipe.



I'm pretty happy with the final product- it's not the prettiest of Christmas presents I've made, but I think the rustic feel of the pieces has its own charm :) Oddly, even though I'm a huge dark chocolate fan, I've been quite taken with the white chocolate-cranberry combination. I think there's something about the sweet creaminess of the white chocolate (which is precisely the thing that usually turns me off) and the tartness of the dried cranberries that comes together really well with the the buttery graham cracker base. I liked it so much-- so does Jude-- that I made sure to set some aside for ourselves, and also for my family, who btw, ARRIVES IN TWO DAYS!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to be a recipient of four of your Christmas gifts. As you know when you left here, I was in the middle of cooking, which is a highly stressful activity for me. I ended up eating 75% of the chocolate bark that evening, while I was inspired to prepare beef cutlets, pineapple-coconut curry, cucumber-split peas curry and beef stew - all that are/were used for different meals during the week. Thanks.
Liz