Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Can you tell me how to get...


So guess what I spent the weekend doing? Research. On Sesame Street! Oh the bliss... The new project I'm on from this semester is focused on developing a literacy curriculum targetted at disadvantaged children, and Sesame Street is providing us with clips from the show to incorporate in our lessons. We might even be going to New York sometime this term to watch some of its production.

Basically, I spent the weekend going through tons of Sesame Street archived clips and materials and developing a set of criteria for what a good clip ought to be like. It was great to say the least- not just revisiting Ernie and Bert and Snuffalopagus (is this even how you spell Snuffy's real name?), but really getting into the whole job of understanding what Sesame Street was originally conceived to do- help underprivileged children learn while they were being left in front of the TV. I mean, the Muppets aren't just there to be cute (although honestly, someone should give Elmo a dose of Ritalin...), they have been intentionally designed to act in ways that not only captivate children, but also to help them develop a sound vocabulary and a sense of language mastery. I had never thought to consider this so carefully before. Analyzing each clip so intensely does take some of the joy out of watching the clips, but still, watching Sesame Street as research? I'm not complaining...

Anyway, I'm off to D.C. tomorrow for a training seminar. It's fully paid for by the National Center for Educational Statistics and they're putting me up at some swanky hotel in the middle of the city. The last time I was in D.C. was more than 10 years ago and only for a day (it was part of a whirlwind 10-city in two weeks tour where I got chicken pox in Disneyland, but that's another story...); but just my sorry luck, the seminar's from 8.30- 5.00 everyday which means I won't be able to check out any of the museums and galleries... *crap*... But the area I'm staying at is supposed to be pretty trendy so we'll see, I might still be able to see some interesting shops and soak in what I can of D.C.'s sights and sounds.

2 comments:

Stan D. said...

Cool, DC is awesome! Also, if you go to NYC, make sure you swing by Boston, too ;)

Anonymous said...

Actually, I'm not at all suprised about the learning powers of Sesame Street. I've heard adults coming to the US and learning English by watching Sesame Street. Now, if they let you analyze Wallace and Grommit for research too, just remember - you do need to graduate some day!

I think you'll have time to venture out of your hotel room to see some of the sights of DC. Bring some rotten tomatoes: if you see Donald Rumsfeld, you can chuck one at him and say that Grover made you do it! It's all about timing....