Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Hanging on...

It's all over- school finally begins today. And I'm having a fever.

I think I've been drinking too much coffee and working too many late nights on my internship. Thankfully this semester will be relatively light so I'll hopefully be able to recover soon without some insane schedule hitting me straight between the eyes right away. Jude starts teaching today and I think I'm about as excited for him as he is about the whole thing. It's going to be hard work of course, but I know he'll do a great job :)

So something that's been helping me get through these past days- Pink Martini and their Hang on Little Tomato (link to streaming audio). Their sound is an eclectic mix of samba, classical, jazz and even trip hop, but this track in particular is a lovely gem. Sweet, whimsical, and so full of hope. So to all of you for whom the next three & a half months are just going to be one fantastic circus of pedagogical acrobatics, academic pins to juggle, and rings of teaching fire to jump through, just keep hanging on! Like a little tomato...



Hang on Little Tomato
The sun has left and forgotten me
It’s dark, I cannot see

Why does this rain pour down

I’m gonna drown

In a sea

Of deep confusion


Somebody told me, I don’t know who

Whenever you are sad and blue

And you’re feelin’ all alone and left behind

Just take a look inside and you will find


You gotta hold on, hold on through the night

Hang on, things will be all right

Even when it’s dark

And not a bit of sparkling

Sing-song sunshine from above

Spreading rays of sunny love


Just hang on, hang on to the vine

Stay on, soon you’ll be divine

If you start to cry, look up to the sky

Something’s coming up ahead

To turn your tears to dew instead


And so I hold on to this advice

When change is hard and not so nice

If you listen to your heart the whole night through

Your sunny someday will come one day soon to you

- Pink Martini

3 comments:

jude said...

There's a good video stream of Pink Martini performing on KCRW at:

http://www.kcrw.com/smil/mb041025Pink_Martini.ram

Anonymous said...

Wait...what? Too much coffee???

Who's blog is this anyway?!

Anonymous said...

Aren't you two in Grad school?

Doesn't Grad School = coffee/no sleep/forgetting to eat and becoming giddy at 4am?

(Tah! "Too much coffee.") You guys kill with your humor!

Good luck this year! :)