Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 11, 2007

What have they done to my Nancy Drew?

I can't believe they've gone and done it- as if making a ghastly movie version of Possession wasn't enough, Hollywood has taken another one of my hallowed literary treasures and turned it into a movie, and from the looks of the trailer, an awful one at that... ;( What have they done to my beloved Nancy Drew??! She's not supposed to be a perky, color-coordinated, penny-loafer wearing cutie-pie. Nancy Drew is NOT cute! Oh please... And isn't she a little too young in the movie? I'd always pictured Nancy Drew as someone more like Natalie Portman, or a much younger Mary Stuart Masterson, or maybe Leelee Sobieski -plucky, resourceful, and a little more rough-and-tumble than the squeaky-clean teen queen they got playing the character in the movie. Bleah....

The entire Nancy Drew series was such a defining part of my growing up years. I remember one year in primary school when I was going through my most obsessive Nancy Drew phase; I borrowed every single one of the Nancy Drew books available in the school library over the course of the year, and wrote ALL my book reports that year on them. I also learned all these "new" American words that I'd never heard used before (compared to the British versions)- Nancy's father is an attorney, which I discovered meant "lawyer", and I also remember looking up "sleuth" in the dictionary to find out that it has the same meaning as detective. I wanted to be just like Nancy Drew when I grew up- brave, pretty, kind, and intelligent, slightly proto-feminist too, come to think about it... She was awesome! And I loved her.

And what have they done to her now? Urgh, I don't even want to think about it... Perky? Cute? Some books are just not meant to be made into a movie. Don't they get it? For every Lord of the Rings, there are five Jumanjis or The Scarlett Letters... And a children's book series no less- these are people's cherished memories of how they're favorite characters will always be. If you want to bring them to "life", at least do your homework, and be faithful and respectful to the character, and people's immortalizations of them.

Ok, I know, I'm on a spiel, but these book-to-film things always get to me. If you want to rework a classic, do it right. If not- please, just don't bother ok?

2 comments:

A said...

What about Reese Witherspoon?

serene said...

hey allison,
yeah, i did think of her, but don't you think she's a little too... blond? and perky? i keep thinking of her in Election and Legally Blonde maybe. i also thought of sarah michelle gellar- a little more gung-ho.