Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Of blogs and pomegranates

Yup, time to change the blog template again. Without our own house to redecorate, I guess the closest approximation to choosing drapes and wallpaper (not that we would ever have wallpaper) is re-doing the blog AGAIN...

We've had the same blog layout for almost 2 years (although the images and colors have changed) so I thought this three-column design might be a refreshing change. I'm sticking to the fruit theme though- don't ask me why. Maybe I just like pomegranates...

The blog's design has evolved quite a bit over the last 3 years, and with it, our coding and customization skills.

The first two were basic Blogger templates- one was too light, and other, too dark:



I briefly toyed with an Arcade Fire template in 2005 but for some reason didn't stick with it. I think it was a little too cluttered for us:


Next was my homage to Laura Ashley in bright pink and blue. I liked it quite a bit and we stuck with this layout for a while. But I think the neon brightness and paisley print might not have sat too well with my husband ;)


The last template was the "A good pear" one- I liked that very much and it was the cleanest and lest cluttered of our designs. And I loved the pretty little daisy.


But like I said, we've had that layout for a while and so to usher in the spring (once this spectacularly ridiculous cold spell blows over!...), I thought to give ghetto of our mind a little spiffying-up :)

This might be a good post to do something Noor calls a comment open-mike night. If you’re reading this post right now, leave a comment with your name, how long you've been reading our blog, or just say "hi". We'd love to hear from everyone!

14 comments:

srah said...

Hi! I have no idea how long I've been reading.

Stan D. said...

Tell Jude to get his CSS books out & get to work. That SI education ought to be good for something!

Noor said...

I can't remember when I started reading your blog . . . maybe sometime in my second year at SI? So I guess I've been reading it for over 1.5 years.

Matt B said...

I've been reading for 2 templates. I do enjoy a pomegranate now and again. And I especially enjoy whacking them with a wooden spoon to get out the seeds. Mmmm..... whack whack whack...

Jim Henderson said...

Hiya

Sorry to be a bit rude, but I found your blog while trawling Google for news of Duncan Colyer (he doesn't leave much of a web footprint, does he?).

He and I went to school in Charlbury and eventually Chipping Norton together. Any chance that you can help this Boston resident get back in contact with him and congratulate him on his new wife? :)

Thanks,

Luke Chatburn
lchatburn@isset.org

A said...

I've been reading since I learned you had a blog and figured out how to work an RSS reader. Hmmm, guess that's since the dark template...but I don't remember the Arcade Fire edition....

Nice new layout (if you'll be sticking with it). Pomegranates are lovely fruits, but difficult to get the seeds out. I like the staining of my fingertips and forgetting why they're red later. :)

Kudos to you for accepting (or creating) change. At another exhibit at the art museum, I heard that's the secret to happiness.

Pretty butterfly!

A said...

Uh, btw...mind if I steal some of your coding? (Or, if you got it from somewhere else, will you tell me from where?)

Also, send me your address. I have a postcard for you two!

T said...

ive been reading since the world welcomed judeandserene.blogspot.com on cyberspace!

Anonymous said...

I've only been reading this blog since I found it on SIclops, but that's probably going on toward a year now...

I like the new template; nice and clean, and pomegranates are as attractive a fruit as anyone could ask for. :)

Anonymous said...

I've been reading since you started. I like the pomegranates and the pear/daisy. Not too crazy about the three columns,though.
Happy Easter!

jude said...

Hi Luke, we'll be sure to forward your message and email address to Duncan :)

olivier said...

been reading for a year now:-)

Anonymous said...

Hi
I chanced upon your blog a few days ago from twice-removed friends and clicked on the link because there are only 2 Judes that I know, and then to discover that it is the Jude I know. Long ago... from sec sch time...
Send my regards to Jude...
Nice to see you here...
Suelynn

jude said...

Hi Suelynn,

Wow it has been a while huh. How are you doing? Are you still in Singapore? Are yous till in touch with guys like Michael Wong, Vincent yap etc etc?

Hope things are going well with you and do drop us a line :)