Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 21, 2007

"Then I look at you and the world's alright with me..."

Today was one of those days that couldn't have been any better had I personally orchestrated each and every moment myself... :) I woke up early from the guilt of having slept at 10.30pm last night, but that also meant I manage to get quite a bit accomplished by the time I went to school for a meeting at noon. By this time I was already feeling kinda good about how much work I had done- not so much that I was tearing my hair out, but just enough to make me feel like I was sorta kinda on top of things...

It was a spectacularly gorgeous day out- one of those days that made you feel like you could do just about ANYTHING. It also felt like a day that a girl should look just that little prettier than usual, so I busted out my capri pants and a sweet polka-dotted silk blouse I got when I had gone shopping with my cousin when she was here. Plus little handmade earrings Jude bought for me when we were back in Singapore. It's a girl thing, but it always feels nice to dress up a little bit, and what better way to celebrate the coming of spring by attempting to look somewhat stylish? ;)

It was a uncharacteristically stressless and panic-free research meeting which is why I believe that divine powers must have been at work to make today a perfect day- no new deadlines, no last-minute assignments and no frantic nervous breakdowns... Perfect :)

The best part of the day was when Jude and I just spent the evening on a little impromptu date :) Nothing special, and it was precisely more precious because of its simplicity. We got my favorite mango ice-cream from Stucchi's (deliriously creamy and yummy), bought a camping back-pack from Bivouac (it's one of those with 295 straps hanging from everywhere but makes 30 lbs of weight feel like nothing), had a surprisingly good dinner at a newly-opened Taiwanese eatery- Asian Legend on William Street (anywhere that serves crispy fried chicken wings that good is fine with me), and bought two records- The Band's Music from Big Pink & Thelonious Monk's Monk's Dream from Encore Records. Jude's finally going to buy a second-hand turntable from Kiwanis tomorrow and we figured we should have at least a couple of vinyls to play when we bring it home.

And just when I thought that the day couldn't get any sweeter, we come home to find what in our kitchen? A brand new refrigerator!! I had written to university housing yesterday to report that our fridge has been leaking and expected them to just fix the leak. But noooo.... And not only did they give us a brand new fridge, they had helped us move all our food from the old fridge into the new one. Even if we had expected a new fridge, we would have thought that they would make us empty the fridge on our own before moving the new one in. Honestly, we've never felt better about living in university housing. Go Blue!

So there, a vague sense of self-accomplishment, gorgeous gorgeous sunshine, ice-cream, good food, a couple of vinyls, a new fridge and a wonderful date with my husband. The perfect ingredients for a perfect spring day.

How was your day today? :)

No comments: