Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Pg 123 meme

Got this from my friend, Dark Orpheus's blog:

Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more.
(everything on, around, and under my table- with the exception of this week's NYT Magazine and the alarm clock- have to do with my dissertation proposal, so this isn't going to be very scintillating...) Easily the thickest book on my dissertation reading list at 714 pages (NOT intending to read the whole thing, not by next year at least...)- Robert Coles' Children of Crisis. Found it second-hand at the Harvard Book Store last year. Many of my ideas about speaking with and listening to children as a research methodology are founded on his work. His conviction that children have much to teach us and that their voices are valuable insights into our world continually inspires me.

Find Page 123.

Find the first 5 sentences.
Coles is talking to a white anti-Communist segregationist about his childhood in Louisiana and war experience in WWII, and how that influenced him to protest the admission of black children into a Catholic parochial school.

Post the next 3 sentences.
"Still, he added, the Germans would be of small help if the UN and integration took over America. He never fought, though he helped others fight. He did his service at an army camp in New Jersey, a very small distance from Manhattan's subversion, perversion- and fascination."

[I'm tagging anyone who just happens to have a random book within arm's reach that's thicker than 123 pages. Have fun!]

2 comments:

darkorpheus said...

I read an article by Coles a few years back on the moral education of children. I thought he seems to "get it" -- Moral education can only be taught by example.

And I can't remember anything else from that article. I think it was in one of those Buddhist magazines I read every month.

No problem with doing of meme. That's kind of the point of meme -- that they spread faster than STD.

no problem with linking to my blog either - though would prefer if you could use my online handle instead - Dark Orpheus.

More romantic. More dramatic. And you get to have Lena Headey come up as my avatar.

But my "lightness of the buttocks" is still more awesome, I think ;p

serene said...

Yes, I don't think anything can be more awesome than "lightness of the buttocks", except maybe hearing someone say "Paschimottanasana" while actually stretching from the seat of the buttocks.

LOVE the Ellen Page/Patti Smith picture you posted!